Saturday, June 25, 2011

A Year of Living Frugally-Rediscovering the Library

I will tell you something. One of the moments, I knew that Doug and I were meant for each other, was when he brought me to his apartment for the first time and I saw his floor to ceiling bookcases, brimming with every book, and dvd you could imagine. I am an avid reader, and I love movies of all kinds. We have that very much in common. A great date to us was a few hours perusing the nearest book store. Well, as part of our Year of Living Frugally, we have drastically cut down on our book buying. No more Barnes and Noble ( aka the crack den for nerds!). We do like a few different used book stores, but even we know that is beyond our budget. So, we have rediscovered the library.

I admit, it has been a few years since I stepped foot in a library. I was pleasantly surprised when we went to the Moline Public Library, and found shelves of DVDs available to rent, and the most recent bestsellers on display next to the door. I went to the periodicals area and found hundreds of different magazines, every magazine that I had wanted to buy in the last year, but didn't, because I didn't want to spend the money. All available to check out. I have to say, I was a little giddy. So I checked out several issues of This Old House, Fine Living, Writer's Digest, and Taste of Home. I had my next months leisure reading all set to go. Doug found several historical biographies, and I found a couple mysteries from my favorite authors. We had a foot high stack of books and magazines to check out. More than enough to keep us entertained for the next month. And best of all, it cost us nothing. Not a penny. I feel a little silly that we hadn't tried out the library sooner. I know we are going to be going back, again and again in the future. Not just because it's frugal, but because it is fun!





No comments:

Post a Comment